"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." -Galatians 6:5b
Now obviously this isn't the only thing that counts, and other versions don't state it this way. In context though, it's suggesting that in light of the extra-Biblical standards we put on ourselves to the neglect of what God does require of us, it all boils down to faith expressing itself through love.
-Faith expressing itself through love when my children wake me up 15 times in the night.
-Faith expressing itself through love when my husband's job requires a lot more time of him than any of us would prefer.
-Faith expressing itself through love when the ironing pile is huge due to neglect and I would rather take a nap (see example #1).
About 10 years ago, I read through the book of Galatians every day for a month...I think I heard that suggestion (to read through a book of the Bible over and over) from John MacArthur. I remember the HUGE burden that was lifted when I realized I had been over-emphasizing all these man-made rules and standards and neglecting the MAIN things, like love, joy, peace... against such there is no other law. Everything we should be doing falls under these fruits of the Spirit. And here I am, 10 years later, still going back to these fundamentals so I can re-align my thoughts according to God's standards and not my own skewed view of what I should be focusing on each day. I'm not sure why I'd rather make sure my schedule is in place, and that the house is clean, or that I'm being productive vs. making sure my tone is loving, or that my face and heart are joyful. I guess it's easier to check those first things off a list and see them as accomplished vs. the the ongoing struggle to be Christ-like. And then there's the reality that the second group requires heart changes and not just outward actions, which means I have to beg God for more grace and mercy (and to work really hard fighting against natural inclinations!). And I like to think I've got it all under control. We all know better.
Just for kicks, I looked up this passage in The Message today. I don't advocate using this for daily reading, but it is a commentary of sorts:
22-23But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely.
23-24Legalism is helpless in bringing this about; it only gets in the way. Among those who belong to Christ, everything connected with getting our own way and mindlessly responding to what everyone else calls necessities is killed off for good—crucified.
25-26Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives.-------------------------------------------------
Not holding it as an idea in our heads, but working it out in every detail. Faith expressing itself through love. It's a big job, and an even bigger concept to teach my children, but it is the only thing that counts.
6 comments:
Very challenging--thanks.
thanks for this. a much needed reminder.
brite, praise the Lord
my perspective is, just take that nap. Eventually you'll realize that ironing isn't as important as you thought it was, and when you're rested its easier to have a smile on your face.... ;)
of course, that's why the house was much cleaner when you lived in it than me ;)
seriously though, great post.
i can NOT wait until your mother reads the message version of those verses on your blog. it is then that she will insist that you never speak to me again since i have had WAY too much (bad) influence on your life...
though i will say that i LOVE those verses in the message version also... but i will only say that while i am still allowed to talk to you.
One of the best things I've read in a while. :) Also, I am with Sarah on the ironing. It's hard to conceive of anything more artificial that living in a society where our clothes have to be flat in order for us to be taken seriously.
Post a Comment