I'm just full of extra thoughts tonight.
A couple of things I wish I had added to my original post, which apparently was of much more interest than I imagined. For those of you who disagreed, thanks for not mentioning it! ;-) Just kidding...I'm always glad to hear other perspectives; that's how we learn and grow.
I think I mentioned that I'd never really thought twice about nursing exclusively for longer than six months. While that is true, I can't say I had never heard of anyone doing it. I can almost guarantee my Bradley Class teacher probably nursed her baby exclusively for a long time, but then again, she did a lot of other things that as a new parent I considered bizarre so I never gave it another thought. I also have several friends who have been quiet examples to me and even though they never stated an official "position" on any of this, they taught me by their lives and their own mothering.
I've talked to several women in the past week who had a really hard time nursing, especially in the beginning, and to you I can honestly say that I feel your pain. I never had a problem nursing the first two, but when Baby T came along every feeding for the first 1-2 weeks had me in tears (and they are pretty much eating all the time in those early days). So it is really rewarding to see what a sweet nursing relationship we have now. My sister utilized her local Le Leche League and got a lot of support and advice when she was having trouble nursing her first baby. I really admire her for sticking with it even through the really tough times (of which mine were minimal in comparison).
So, thanks for your comments and for not voting me off the island (yet).
Friday, September 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Interesting post Brite. :D I nursed Kathleen and Deven for 6 months, Darien (my second) for 2 months, and Kittee for 10 1/2 months and Duncan is 7 months and still dependent on mama. :) I really enjoy reading your blog. It is uplifting and thought provoking. God bless you and your sweeties.
I never got around to commenting on your last nursing post so thanks for giving me a second chance ;o)
After having nursed number three for a whopping (to me, since I'd never gone that long...) 18 months I certainly understand having to deal with some raised eyebrows and questions. Good for you for hanging in there, I'm sure he's getting lots of benefits!
Post a Comment