I make my own liquid clothes detergent from it using this recipe. It is quick to make (no grating soap and dissolving) and works well, although I do end up using the full half a cup for large loads and diapers. She said she wasn't pleased with how it cleaned her diapers, but I have used it for about two months and think it works well. The only thing I would add to her directions is to consider making half a "batch." I put my detergent in an empty one gallon vinegar bottle, and the recipe makes one gallon, so there's no room to shake it up (once it gets foamy with bubbles) if you put a full recipe in there. I don't really own any containers that hold more than a gallon, so this was an issue when I tried putting in a glass jar as well.
I used the soap in a spray bottle- highly diluted (1/4 teaspoon for a large bottle)- as an all-purpose cleaner. Great for the kitchen and bathrooms. I use it to spray down the counters and to clean the floors. I still use vinegar and peroxide (in separate bottles) in the sinks and toilet as an antibacterial cleaner. I haven't found anything effective for cleaning soap scum out of the tub, but I still have some soft scrub tucked away in the cabinet. For now, I'm using that up with the hopes of not replacing it. Edited to add: This just in...I sprayed the tub with my all-purpose cleaner and then sprinkled the tub with baking soda. The tub had to be mostly dry (the wetter it got the harder it was to get the soap scum off) but it worked great. Good-bye, Soft Scrub. I had tried just vinegar and soda and I think the tub needs some sort of degreaser; I guess that's why this combo works.
I used this recipe for my dishwasher detergent. The first time I made the recipe I didn't measure the tea tree oil, but the three drops in the recipe really means three drops. It's an oil so I think that may have contributed to the spotty dishes. We used up that full jar of soap (spots and all) and it took about a month. My husband was super patient. At one point he suggested we get a sign for our dishwasher that said "Clean" or "Dirty" because he couldn't tell. Nice. But we stuck with it through the second batch because we knew the dishes were actually clean, just spotty. If I wipe them with a dry towel they look great (which I do before we have company). WH wonders if it took a month to clean out the junk in our dishwasher, because I can honestly say I am really pleased with the soap now. I will usually have an item or two that needs to be hand washed after it's gone through the cycle, but that is almost always due to not getting the chunks of something off (and it's usually silverware).
Here are my observations:
- I've decided that the automatic dishwasher is somewhat of a farce; there is no way to get your dishes "spotless" without heavy-duty chemicals. You'd think hot water and soap would do it, but even the dishwasher repair man says not to load your dishes full of food particles, because they just get ground up and sprayed all over your dishes again. I guess the chemicals break down some of this food, so if you aren't using those you can imagine the mess on your dishes. I should add: I may be in a stage of life at some point where I need the convenience more than I want the chemical-free soap, but for now the latter is my priority.
- Using this soap requires me to rinse my dishes fairly quickly so nothing hardens, or keep a sink full of water to throw the dishes in until I can load them. This is not such a bad habit anyway, so I don't mind.
- My dishwasher foamed (as in, soap spilled onto the floor a little) the first few times I used this natural soap. The author of the blog link above suggested it was the result of my dishwasher getting some residual junk out of the system. Who knows...but it only happened a few times, and on those days my floors were especially clean.
- Coffee, peanut butter, and lipstick residue will not come off without a good pre-scrub. FYI.
- The soap is so concentrated and has some sort of pine oil in it. I've noticed that when it gets on my hands (at full strength) it irritates them a little so this has kept me from using the soap as hand-wash dish detergent. Maybe I need to dilute it more.
- I still purchase a big box of Oxyclean (which I'm fairly sure is not natural :) ) for soaking items that are stained.
7 comments:
we love dr. bronner's at our house. we use the pre-castile soap for everything. i still haven't ventured into dish washing detergent but that may be my next step.
Thanks for sharing! I wonder if we don't have exceptionally hard water and I need to use more per dishwasher load... my dishes came out, not only spotty, but covered in a dirty film... and I was rinsing them really well. Maybe I'll try again! Thanks for the tip on the soap scum too!
Printing this off to tuck into my hope chest. Thanks Brite!
I use Dr. Bronner's castile soap (the lavendar scent) to make my own all purpose cleaner, which I love. It cleans really well and smells amazing. And I use borax to clean my tub, but I don't know if that counts as a natural cleanser or not! But that's as far as I have ventured.
I use the castile soap to make my baby wipes (almond scent- I love it!) and I've used it to try to make a shampoo but it didn't really work great. Still tackling that project.
Here's what I read that made me put away the Borax: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2009/05/borax-is-it-safe.html
FYI...
My Mom and I have agreed to set aside a day to buy the stuff and mix up our own more natural cleaners.....neither one of us knows much about it though so thanks for sharing your trial and error...:o) Any favorite links would be great to share.
Thanks for linking to that website - so helpful. In terms of shampoo, I have been using baking soda (1tbs in 1cup water), followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse (same ratio) and it seems to be working really well. Then again, I only wash my hair a few times per week anyway...
Post a Comment