Sunday, February 8, 2009

the rest of the story

First of all, this little guy makes me so happy! And he slept the ENTIRE time we were in the car on moving day.

Okay, now for the rest of our little moving saga. Can I just say how grateful I am that SO many people have given their time, energy, and possibly their good health to get us where we are today? Too many to name, but many of you are reading. :)

WARNING: Most of our story has to do with having a weak stomach so if you already have a weak stomach this is not the post for you. Come back tomorrow.

So we packed up the moving truck on Thursday (I say "we" but this is not woman's work, as we all know) and everything was finished in time to have dinner with some dear friends. After a short visit we left to spend the night with some other friends from church (and I really hope all these sweet people aren't deathly ill right now). Anyway, Coop started throwing up in the middle of the night and WH (my husband) was feeling not-so-hot himself. Since we had already been through this with Sweet A (the 1 1/2 year old) on Tuesday and it was just a one-time deal we thought little of it. We had breakfast with yet another friend and Coop and WH ate little to nothing. We started out our journey tired from being up in the night with various children, I in the van (I mean, superwagon) with Little T and WH in the moving truck with the older two kids. We never would have left if we knew what was ahead of us. :::::::scary music:::::::::::

An hour and a half into our trip I noticed the moving truck pulling off at an exit. My suspiscions were confirmed when I got the call. Penske would replace the truck if it broke down, but would they give us a new truck with a vomit-free cab??? Coop had managed to finish the job in a Wal-mart bag but when's the last time you got one without a hole in the bottom? Apparently the mess was somewhat contained to the passenger's side until Coop tried to hand the hole-y bag over to his dad. We spent about 30 minutes at a gas station doing our best to clean out the truck with my little bottle of hand sanitizer and a box of wipes. Besides puking all over himself and his carseat, he managed to have perfect aim and completely douse our basket of snacks for the trip. Thanks for the little brownies, Christina, but they had to go. In God's great mercy we forgot to pack up a small bathroom trashcan so it got chucked (no pun intended) into the back of WH's truck (which he was pulling on a trailer) and I could see it out the back window. Ahh, blessed trashcan. How you have saved us from many more long and tedious stops. After we had bagged up all the contaminated clothes, carseat cover, etc. we were on our way again. I don't really remember how many times Coop threw up...I know he went through at least 3 outfits because that's all I packed and if he'd done it again he would have been in his church clothes.

The trip to our new town usually takes about 6 hours...we figured it would take longer with a moving truck. But after 6 hours we were just over half way because of all the stops and at one point WH said, "The PIONEERS went faster than this!" He was feeling miserable, too, but as usual, kept his wits about him. The low point of the trip was when I noticed the moving truck had slowed to about 45 mph. I was watching and expecting us to pull off at the next exit so Coop could put on his church clothes but the truck was not stopping. Soon the truck sped up again. Didn't really make sense, so I called WH to see what was up (no pun intended). He was the next victim, only he was so desperate to just GET THERE that he was throwing up while driving. Didn't he at least want to stop to empty the can??? We arrived after 8 hours, which shows how much time we made up in the end.

Never has one little family been so glad to have a warm welcome and a comfy bed. Everyone except me was asleep by 7:30pm.

It was a horrible, no good, very bad day for our family. But at least we weren't moving to Australia.

5 comments:

Sarah C said...

Yuck! So sorry :o(
Ummmm, the bright side, the bright side.....Oh, I know, you can't have had much time to feel bad about leaving all your bestest friends with the constant puking! How's that for positive thinking?

Jonesey said...

You guys are tough. A lesser family would have surely caved. I'm not sure what the other options were but 8 hours is pretty good for all the shenanigans.

I'm glad it is all over and you were able to sleep and start a blog. Brite, you have skills!

Shelly said...

Oh, Brite- I am so sorry! We had a similar experience traveling back to Wy when Spence was a baby- I was the first victim and Adie was the second- she puked all the way back home until we hit Kansas City. Thankfully, no one else got it. I am so sorry that you guys were in that boat.

Mrs. Pittman said...

Puke Posts. Definitely not my favorite, but I'm proud of you and my amazing SIL for making the best of it. You are a terrific mother, sweet daughter.

Oh, and the picture of T makes the whole post worthwhile :)

MOM

jax said...

The end of your post made me laugh ... but are a puking child + husband on an all-day drive REALLY worse than waking up with gum in your hair + not getting the tennis shoes you wanted? :)