Why of course. He's such a cultured man. But I digress.So shortly after that post, thanks to those who clicked through to the link, I received an email asking for my address so some real live glass straws could be sent to yours truly! It was an exciting day. I laughed. I cried. I told everyone.
(I should stop right here and explain that I often recommend products I love just for the sheer pleasure of passing on great finds. I don't have ads on this blog and I don't get paid anything when I tell you about a product that is currently making a difference in my life. This reviewing a product business is a first for me.)
And then the straws arrived, packaged up in neat and tidy boxes with a minimal amount of padding. That surprised me; you think glass= fragile. They really are a lot sturdier than you might expect. They have a satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime guarantee against breakage and I was pretty sure my family would put that breakage guarantee to the test. I didn't stop my kids from making their straws do a little dance in their glasses (just to hear the tinkling noise) although I did tell them to do it gently. I have intentionally tried to treat them with the same care as I do all my other dishes (poor straws) and even had them at the bottom of a sink full of warm soapy water for a few hours. Not trying to test fate, but they have to work in real life or they won't work for us.

We tried out four different sizes and styles. My children are most enamored with the decorative dots straws; it's hard to resist the colorful decorations. I was pretty knocked out with the "bendy" straw. I find it easier to drink a lot of water with a straw- I could down12 oz. in no time with one of these babies. One of the straws was large in diameter and I could see it being a great milkshake straw (when that blessed day arrives and I'm drinking iced dairy products again). At some point, I plan on getting the kids their own smoothie straws, each with a different color. Maybe I really will get those for Christmas- they'd make great stocking stuffers.

In the end, I think I'm so enamored with these little straws because I realize how hard it is to make huge changes in our family life when it comes to getting away from plastics, eating healthfully, using natural cleaning products, etc. I can't do everything, but we can make gradual changes. I'm trying to implement one or two new healthful practices each week. Some of these changes are good for us, but not very exciting. My new straws are both.
7 comments:
how cool is that!
I adore these straws, and the company! Aren't the people there so nice?!
I have tons of these straws and they are so strong it's crazy. I keep two in my purse all the time with no problems.
I got one of these free from a contest. They are so awesome. I will be buying more soon.
sorry for the double posting.
When you have time, could you recommend an article or link to help us non-natural types learn about what's wrong with plastic? ...although I'd buy those straws just because of their aesthetic value.
Did anyone read that who'd like to send me some straws? :)
Love, MOM
I've used glass for food storage (would someone please tell my husband to bring them all home from work?) for a long time now. The only downside is there's nothing for the kids to play with (like tupperware-ish stuff) in my kitchen). Oh, you need to ask Nicky about using glass bottles and taking one to the English Rose. :)
Post a Comment