Friday, January 7, 2011

Surviving the Cold of Death

Well, our first week of sticking to the main things went fairly well, except that the main thing turned into "survive colds and coughs." This two-week cold seems to be going around, and I've passed the two-week mark but the kids are only at one week. I think I accomplished everything on my Essentials list one day this week, and we've managed to do school several days in a row despite mounds of kleenex.

Keeping those main things in mind helped me stay very focused the other days, except for Wednesday when I got side-tracked rearranging the kids' rooms. It was a project, I confess, and took up most of our morning, but in the long run I think it was worth it. (As a side note, you have no idea how strong your kids are until you ask them to move furniture with you!) Thomas loves to read books and he's kind of a loner so I often find him in his room on the rug with his blanket and a book. Since he is still in a crib he can't cozy down there with the latest NYT best-seller, so now he has a little reading corner. I ditched the bookcase in favor of metal breadbox full of books, and a big folded up comforter and some unused throw pillows makes it inviting for a two-year old. The other kids all try to squish into that spot throughout the day.

In light of the Death Cold (I really did think I might die of it on Tuesday, with the constant coughing and inability to lift my head off the pillow/couch/rug...just call me Anne with an E), I thought I would share the products that are helping us survive this season. 

 
This is the best Vitamin C I've ever taken and I can't say enough good things about it. There is so much research available on the benefits of higher doses of Vitamin C (especially in those with suppressed immune systems, something I'm dealing with), but sometimes it's hard on your stomach. Jigsaw has come up with a sustained release product and I've used it with no ill effects. Expect to see it on Oprah one of these days. And then let me know if it makes it there, because we haven't had any TV reception for the last five years.

We also take JuicePlus as an everyday, whole foods supplement. In addition to being a great product (I've taken it in place of a prenatal vitamins in the past), they also have an offer where you can add a child over the age of five for FREE. My kids love the gummies, and I love the free. Worth checking out...
This is a must-have. I've never tried Vicks, but this is probably a natural version of that, only I feel safe rubbing it on my child's chest and back, and under their nose. I applied it throughout the night when I couldn't sleep due to congestion, and it immediately opened up my airways. Amazing. I used to buy it at a little herb shop in Chattanooga, and was so happy to find it online (with free shipping)!

When regular tea hurts your sore throat too much, we find this really soothing.
This very odd Oprah endorsed product (so they tell me) has saved me from a multitude of ear and sinus infections (and rounds of antibiotics). It is a must have! I should have put it at the top of the list; if I was sick on a desert island and could only have one thing, this might be it.

Kimi, at the Nourishing Gourmet, has several suggestions for how to consume raw garlic. We tried the homemade mayo dip with raw garlic (and I added avocados) with tortilla chips, and I thought it was really good. My kids each tried one bite, and were not amused. Two of them gagged and cried and felt betrayed. You might see them on Oprah one day. But they probably consumed a half of clove of minced garlic that way. They are still hacking away, but I'm sure it was good for them!

And I would be lying if I didn't say that I consumed my fair share of guifenesin, but I stopped taking it after about a week and I can't say I noticed much of a difference.

Oh, and lots of both of these....


8 comments:

emily said...

so sorry y'all are all dealing with the nasty cold!! praying for a recovery soon.... thanks for sharing those products! i had a bad experience with the neti pot, so i'm a little afraid to try it again. but i've been told it's amazing!! i will have to try that breathe easy salve the next time i'm congested. i should probably order so now so i'll have it!!! hang in there....

brite said...

I used to hate the neti pot with a vengeance, but once I learned how much salt to use (which varies according to how much chlorine is in your water...that's what burns your nose), which is a little less than 1/2 teaspoon per neti pot for me, it wasn't so bad. Sometimes the congestion is so bad the neti pot just doesn't run through (gross, huh?) but that's where the breath easy salve helps a lot.

Sarah said...

Get well soon to all of you! We're attempting to do school to - with a new baby instead of bad colds though! Miss you all.

Jess said...

Sorry to hear... no fun! Have you ever heard of/tried colloidal silver? That's our new fav around here... it's anti-fungal/bacterial/viral... every time we've felt anything coming on, a runny nose or cough, we've taken some and remained healthy, when everyone around us isn't. Have to do your research, tho, as there are many you don't want to use - has to be the right stuff.

brite said...

Sarah, having a baby and schooling is more difficult than being sick, only MUCH cuter. :) So happy for you guys!

Jess, can you recommend a good brand? I've taken it before, but there was so much conflicting info...I do need to do more research on that. Feel free to point me in the right direction!

kate o. said...

hmmm...juiceplus. i was so close to buying it the other day after reading up on it. which ones do you take? and the kids? omar and i went back and forth about it because of the cost, but i'm willing to be convinced ;)

Jonesey said...

Brite, that was hilarious. Bonus points for the liberal use of Oprah in a blogpost :)

I have a number of comments.
1. I just set Josie up a preschool corner in the school room. It is just the bottom shelf with age appropriate learning toys (culled from around the house) and her own cup of fresh crayons. She brought a big fleece blanket and stretched it out on the floor and now she plays while we do school. It has been awesome. It reminds me of what you were saying about T and the reading corner.
2. Thanks for all the helpful tips, I am going to check into the juice plus. Also, I LOVE those teas, I just ordered them from Subscribe & Save from Amazon since I can't buy them at the store like normal people.
3. I love the Neti pot, life changer right there. I got up in the middle of the night once because I couldn't breathe and it helped me enough to get back to bed (instead of sleeping sitting up in a chair! here's a question for you and your readears and I hope this isn't too gross: Do you have one for each member of your family to use or do you share. I cannot bring myself to let Jones use it, TMI???
4. And to conclude the longest comment ever left, Cracked me up about your kids being offended by the mayo and it made me feel better because my kids would have done just that :)

Wish you were here....

brite said...

Jonesey thinks my post is hilarious! The highest compliment, to be sure.

1.I should probably create a similar space in the school area- good idea! He's at that in-between stage (which lasts a while) of not being capable and mostly being destructive, but wanting to be a part.

2.the JP is great, and even the adults love the gummies. Especially good if you have trouble remembering to take supplements.

3.well, just talking about the neti pot in general is sort of gross, so I'll go ahead and answer. We do share, but I wash it with soap and water every time, and run it through the dishwasher before I pack it back in the box (hopefully not to see the light of day for another long season). We have the ceramic version, but they sell a plastic one at our grocery store for $5, so it wouldn't be a huge investment to get Jones his own.

And don't forget about the Little Noses bulb for the little people in your life. I tilt their heads over the sink and use it just like a neti pot...huge help for them!