Friday, November 27, 2009

Real thanksgiving

Brother-in-law playing Emma theme song on the piano with a baby on his lap. My own baby playing on the floor while I embroider names on future Christmas stockings. Turkey baking; mother-in-law bustling in the kitchen. Husband rocking on the front porch with his dad. Cranberry Apple Butter simmering. At one point I was moved to tears thinking of all the good gifts surrounding me.

And yet, it's all about what we choose to see. Gratefulness is choosing to see the abundance God has given and at the same time letting all the petty inconveniences- or even the real heartbreaking situations- fall away and and become less as Christ becomes all. So my picturesque Thanksgiving was a joy, and all the other things- sinus infection, weeks of poor sleep, ongoing extended-family issues, and other things not worth mentioning- those pale in comparison to the good gifts.

I hope your day was full of recounting the tender mercies of God and that your heart is moved more toward Him and away from your troubles. The troubles will always be there- but be of good cheer: HE has overcome all of those things and He will never leave or forsake His own. What a cause for Thanksgiving!

And now on to Christmas celebrations!! My kids are so excited and it's contagious. :)


3 comments:

Mrs. Pittman said...

wow, Thomas looks so grown up with that hat on....and sitting in a car!

Sounds like a lovely holiday. I'm fighting covetousness - but it's easier having my grown children 'elsewhere' when I realize what amazing families they've married into.

Now, the unmarried, grown boys....Not so much :0

Sarah :) said...

wow.... that is one chubby baby you got there ;) Wasn't he about 7 lb at birth? I'm trying to decide if I think my first will be very large, because so far I'm not sticking out hugely yet. But, still 2 weeks till my "official" due date, and so he's got potentially a month left in the womb to grow. ugh. a month. I'm thankful pregnancy is only now getting uncomfortable.

Sarah said...

I loved this post, Brite. May the Lord richly bless your family and cause you to "bless the Lord...and forget not all His benefits."

In Him,

Sarah